What is 'Sustainable' Packaging? Our Vision
At EUROPEN, we avoid speaking of 'sustainable' packaging because packaging is just one of many elements that can help companies meet corporate sustainability goals. Sustainable packaging cannot be an end in itself, rather there are more sustainable ways of manufacturing it.
Packaging's Contribution to Sustainable Development: The Vision of EUROPEN
Sustainable development addresses economic, environmental and social objectives. EUROPEN Members are encouraged to develop and use packaging which contributes to achievement of the European Union's Sustainable Development Strategy (1).
Such packaging should:
- be designed holistically with the product in order to optimise overall environmental performance
- be made from responsibly sourced materials
- be designed to be effective and safe throughout its life cycle
- meet market criteria for performance and cost
- meet consumer choice and expectations and
- be recovered efficiently after use
Revised May 2009